Want to contribute

Tim Sarbin tim.sarbin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 19:44:40 PST 2010

On Sunday 07 March 2010 11:09:06 pm James Robertson wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > Tim Sarbin wrote:
> >> So are there no plans to expand on that project
> >
> > No one is working on anything right now.
> >
> >   or what? Should I consider
> >>
> >> my ideas something as a derived project or something that could (or
> >> should) be part of the alfs project directly?
> >
> > I can't really tell from what I know right now.  Perhaps someone else
> > will respond who has contributed before.
> >
> >> And if the latter, what should I do to get started?
> >
> > I suggest just set something up and post a link.  There hasn't been much
> > conversation about alfs.  There were 6 posts in February, none in
> > January, and 6 in December.
> >
> > George Boudreau was the most recent developer.
> >
> >    -- Bruce
>
> Tim
>
> We wrote the ALFS SDMS a long time ago in an effort to create a robust
> build system following a client/server model.  Bruce is quite correct
> that there has been no real development on the base ideas that you have
> been reading about.  I personally have not updated any of the doco in a
> very long time.  Most folks use the JHALFS toolset (including me).  It
> essentially pulls the commands right out of the LFS book and works
> fine.  I have tweaked my local copy to work for my custom server build
> (I don't use LFS for desktop/laptop).  BLFS is a different animal
> altogether.
>
> At this point I see you having a couple of options.  You can see about
> enhancing support for all the required and optional pre-requisites in
> the BLFS book in JHALFS or begin to write the components of the ALFS
> project SDMS.  I know for sure that ALFS must be able to pull the build
> commands right out of the books, no matter what.  No one in their right
> mind will want to manually maintain files of commands from the books.
> That is one of the things that killed the nALFS project.  The XML DTD
> for ALFS is still good, however if you want to use it.
>
> Good luck.
>
> James

James,

I have been looking around at the ALFS source and it seems to pretty much be a
fancy shell script, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not really following
the client/server model that I was reading about. Also, what do you mean by
"ALFS project SDMS"?

The proto I'm working on would have to deal with both LFS as well as BLFS in
one way or another via the xml source. The goal of what I'm working on is
something that can either create a fully bootable system on the host (via the
live CD possibly), a bootable ISO, or a base system in a specified folder. I
would have a separate back-end and front-end, that way the LFS could be built
via console or a GUI yet retain the same business logic (really that's how I
code everything anyway). My logic is already pulling the xml of the LFS book
and determining the set of binaries required to build from the host system
(pre-build check), and hopefully tonight I can get the first part of the build
process done. After that I will link to what I have and see what the ALFS team
has to say about it.

Thanks,
Tim