Want to contribute

James Robertson jwrober at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 20:09:06 PST 2010

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Tim Sarbin wrote:
>
>> So are there no plans to expand on that project
>>

> No one is working on anything right now.
>
>   or what? Should I consider
>
>> my ideas something as a derived project or something that could (or should)
>> be part of the alfs project directly?
>>

> I can't really tell from what I know right now.  Perhaps someone else
> will respond who has contributed before.
>

>> And if the latter, what should I do to get started?
>>

> I suggest just set something up and post a link.  There hasn't been much
> conversation about alfs.  There were 6 posts in February, none in
> January, and 6 in December.
>
> George Boudreau was the most recent developer.
>
>    -- Bruce

Tim

We wrote the ALFS SDMS a long time ago in an effort to create a robust
build system following a client/server model.  Bruce is quite correct
that there has been no real development on the base ideas that you have
been reading about.  I personally have not updated any of the doco in a
very long time.  Most folks use the JHALFS toolset (including me).  It
essentially pulls the commands right out of the LFS book and works
fine.  I have tweaked my local copy to work for my custom server build
(I don't use LFS for desktop/laptop).  BLFS is a different animal
altogether.

At this point I see you having a couple of options.  You can see about
enhancing support for all the required and optional pre-requisites in
the BLFS book in JHALFS or begin to write the components of the ALFS
project SDMS.  I know for sure that ALFS must be able to pull the build
commands right out of the books, no matter what.  No one in their right
mind will want to manually maintain files of commands from the books.
That is one of the things that killed the nALFS project.  The XML DTD
for ALFS is still good, however if you want to use it.

Good luck.

James