Want to contribute

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 14:34:19 PST 2010

Tim Sarbin wrote:
> Hey guys, I've been lurking around LFS in the shadows for quite some time,
> and only just recently stumbled across the automated LFS project. I was
> wondering what the status of this project is, and if there is anything I can
> contribute to. I'm familiar with C, C++, Python, Lua, Java, etc as well as
> libraries such as Gtk, Qt, and wxWidgets. I'm also fairly comfortable with
> the low level administration of the linux system. From what I read on the
> FAQ it seems like the new ALFS system is supposed to have a backend, and a
> modular front end (could be a console, GUI, etc). I am getting tired of
> these RPM/DEB distros (and even gentoo) and think the concept of ALFS would
> be a great was to bring LFS into a more usable state. I would see ALFS both
> as a way for less technical people to build a desktop system, as well as a
> way for technical people to build the foundation for their own linux based
> distro or operating environment.

alfs is not being actively maintained.  There may be an occasional
update, but only if a problem arises.  I use jhalfs for LFS only as it
extracts the commands form the book and runs them.  It's a good check of
the accuracy of the book.

BLFS is another animal with optional and required prerequsites.  I
always do that for the packages I want by hand -- well, I have my own
personal scripts for a lot of them.

   -- Bruce