question about resuming

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 1 11:12:52 PST 2010

Roelof Wobben wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering.
>
> If I has to quit this install.
>
> Is there a way I can resume the build where I was or do I have to do everything again.
>
> Roelof

The short answer is a qualified "yes". A longer one is "the procedure
you must use may be slightly involved, depending on what you mean
by 'quit this install'".

What do you mean by "quit this install"? Did you

$ make
$ make install
[abort the install by typing ^C or power off or similar]

If so, then disentangling may be somewhat problematic, especially
if you just pulled the power cord while disc writes were in progress.

If you simply typed ^C or similar during the _build_, or between
the build and _install_, you can probably just delete the build
directory, untar the tarball, and start over with that package.
Even a ^C during the install may be ok, so long as you start over
with the build. Pulling the power cord is another matter altogether,
and may require starting over at the beginning.

If you shut down in an orderly fashion, then rebooted later, you
can still restart. There's a hint which covers that.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.