alfs in virtual machine

DHAJOGLO at smumn.edu DHAJOGLO at smumn.edu
Sun Nov 29 20:40:09 PST 2009

I'm quite sure it is but you really don't need dd.  You can simply complete the build, boot to a liveCD, tar up the install and put it somewhere.  Then, when you wan to install it on another machine, boot to the liveCD again, format and mount / then untar the aLFS install.  After that just go through the grub steps and edit the necessary /etc files and try to boot.  I've done a few this way with one machine having been built on a VMWare ESX server.  You will, of course, want to compile for your target architecture.

dd would work just find also though I prefer tar and rerunning grub to keep the boot partition and master boot record issues to a minimum.

-dave