JHALFS - BLFS /bin/sh > /bin/dash nitpic

Trent Shea trent.shea at gmail.com
Tue May 19 19:28:08 PDT 2009

Hello,

I just started to work with jhalfs and BLFS and believe that I have come
across a bug.

The first package I installed was dash, which went smooth. The second package
failed with the following:

/bin/sh: source: not found

It turns out that dash does not recognize 'source,' but rather '.'. I tried a
number of shells, the majority accept '.' or 'source'.

After a bit of reading (IEEE Std 1003.1, 2004 Edition) it appears that you may
set the makefile's shell with the variable 'SHELL' to get around this. And
furthermore setting 'SHELL' in the makefile leaves the environment variable
untouched for any scripts that the Makefile runs.

I've confirmed the behaviour described above on my system. If someone could
confirm it would a patch to set 'SHELL=/bin/bash' in 'BLFS/gen-makefile.sh' be
considered?

Regards,
Trent.