alfs Requirements [Was blank]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 27 14:47:58 PDT 2008

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:52:28 -0400, George Boudreau <georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>
>> One weak point in jhalfs is the progress bar. It is only a fancy
>> timer and does not display the percent completion.  True progress would
>> be based  on SBU calcs for each package. This idea ranked at 99 on the
>> todo list and eventually became covered in dust. There may yet be
>> interest in such a mod. (nudge,nudge)
>
> I'd be interested, in a hopefully simple 'feature', of being able to disable the progress bar entirely through the config screens.  It's been a while since I did some tests, but disabling it certainly seemed to speed things up a fair bit for me and IIRC several other people confirmed.  See the thread at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.lfs.automated/6664/focus=6677 which has some interesting discussion on the subject including a suggestion by a certain Mr Huntwork that mirrors my own!

Such a feature already exists:

svn co svn://linuxfromscratch.org/ALFS/jhalfs/trunk jhalfs-trunk
cd jhalfs-trunk
 >common/progress_bar.sh

Works great. ;)

No, but really, it would be nice to have an official option, or as
George mentioned, to devise a new methodology. George, a long time ago
(you'd have to search the archives) when Manuel was first devising a
progress bar, I sent him one that did at least start down the path of
SBU calcs, etc. I think Manuel raised the objection that any calculation
done effectively skews the actual SBU time. Sort of like the Heisenberg
uncertainty principle...

--
JH