alfs Requirements [Was blank]

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 27 13:46:01 PDT 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:52:28 -0400, George Boudreau <georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> One weak point in jhalfs is the progress bar. It is only a fancy
> timer and does not display the percent completion.  True progress would
> be based  on SBU calcs for each package. This idea ranked at 99 on the
> todo list and eventually became covered in dust. There may yet be
> interest in such a mod. (nudge,nudge)

I'd be interested, in a hopefully simple 'feature', of being able to disable the progress bar entirely through the config screens.  It's been a while since I did some tests, but disabling it certainly seemed to speed things up a fair bit for me and IIRC several other people confirmed.  See the thread at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.lfs.automated/6664/focus=6677 which has some interesting discussion on the subject including a suggestion by a certain Mr Huntwork that mirrors my own!

Regards,

Matt.