alfs Requirements [Was blank]

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 11:08:50 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Jeremy Huntwork
<jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> If you are going to reinvent the ability to parse, then good luck.  I've done
>> <understatement>just a bit of C/C++ programming</understatement> in my career
>
> I know where you're coming from. I fully respect your abilities and
> experience.
>
>> and I don't think you will be able to parse the book in a second unless you come
>> up with an algorithm that is quite different from xsltproc.  To do that reliably
>> will take many times 20 seconds.
>
> It's already do-able. The code already exists. I will grant that it does
> not yet account for everything that could be valid for XML, but I don't
> think we need to do that for our purposes.

I've never understood the preference to rewrite something that's not
libxslt/xsltproc. If the book sources are written in XSLT, then why
not use something (libxslt) that is widely tested and probably already
optimized? I just don't really see the need to reimplement an XSLT
parser. Am I missing something?

--
Dan