alfs Requirements [Was blank]

Jon Herron leftturnsolutions at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 10:56:48 PDT 2008

I've been spending the last couple days reading through the LFS book again,
using jhalfs, doing manual installs, etc.  Upon reading the book again I was
reminded that concurrent building is not a good idea, so I'm going to trust the
authors (who undoubtedly know more about this than I do) and go ahead and
nix my original thoughts on adding that bit of functionality.

Also it seems that any sort of package management is generally frowned upon,
which after giving it some thought I can see that side of the coin as well.  With
all that being said, I guess I am no longer very clear at all on what would be
gained by redoing jhalfs - which from everything that I can see works well, each
time I left it to run over night I was greated with successes in the morning.  I
agree that for what it does it does it well.

Perhaps a dependency on xsl/xsltproc could be removed, but then again xsl
was designed with transforming xml into another format from the start.
Perhaps a separation of the backend from the front end could be done, to
allow for controlling the build from another machine, but then technically speaking
ssh or a remote X session could do the trick as well (assuming the host machine
supported such actions).

I think LFS et al is a great project, and would love to help out in some way if
possible, but after researching it seems that jhalfs does a pretty good job for
what it does.  Am I missing anything that others might have seen?

 Thanks,

Jon Herron