alfs Requirements [Was blank]

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 21 11:11:25 PDT 2008

Jon Herron wrote:
> I have been tossing the idea around of using an intermediary format, which is
> derived from the lfs sources/book, as I feel too that using the sources dierectly
> this is the way to go.  Not only does the automated tool not have to incur
> maintenance when the book is updated, but the automated tool can also serve
> as a unit test of sorts to make sure the userinputs defined in the xml sources
> are correct.  Naturally translating from sources to another format could negate
> the unit test theory in its purest form, but what could be gained is a "package"
> description of sorts that allowed for other applications to be installed during an
> lfs/blfs build.  If I recall correctly this exists in jhlfs and I think it would be a great
> feature to keep.

[...]

This is a laudable goal, but incurs the necessity of
adding dependency information into the book, unless
one only wants to build the "minimal system". If the
work is done "right", then additional packages not in
the "minimal system" could also be built using the
same tool, just with different books.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.