alfs Requirements [Was blank]

Jon Herron leftturnsolutions at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 07:26:12 PDT 2008

Mike -

  I agree that having a nice front end to walk you through the build process would
be a big win for a majority of users.  I for one tend to prefer a command line
interface, but to me this is a great example for why the separation of the back end
from the front end would be a big win.

  A dependency database for packages would be a big plus as well, as long as
it was properly maintained.  I would also be interested in a way of associating
required/strongly suggested + optional patches for a given package as well.
Not sure if package is the proper nomenclature here or not.

  I am still gathering my initial thoughts after letting jhalfs run again over night,
using the livecd with local lfs-sources.  One early thought I had was in regards
to the overall run time.  I would like to explore to see if there are any aspects of
the build process that can be run in parallel.  Whether this be compiling sources
that do not directly depend on the previous step, or retrieving source archives
from svn or the web concurrently.  Granted this is an early idea and might not pan
out, but I thought it might be worth looking into, or at the very least bring up for
discussion.  Once again I have only run jhalfs on the livecd with local sources,
so perhaps some of this functionality is already present.

  With regards to creating a directory tree ready to be mounted, or an iso ready
to be burnt, this would be an excellent end goal, and something that I think with
some work would be very do-able.

 Thanks,

Jon Herron