alfs Requirements [Was blank]

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 20 13:14:57 PDT 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I'll have to disagree here.  I prefer an interpreted language like bash, python,
> or php.  I don't like perl because I think the syntax is error prone.  The ease
> of viewing, understanding, testing, and debugging an interpreted package is the
> dominant issue.

It's a factor, but I don't know if I'd call it a dominant issue. Poring
through someone else's bash scripts can sometimes be just as daunting as
C or C++.

> The speed is a non-issue as the compile times in LFS dwarf any alfs execution times.

In turn, I disagree with this statement (at least the part about speed
being a non-issue). When I'm in the development process and am
constantly adjusting things and re-parsing the book, 1 second compared
to 20 seconds makes a difference.

In any case, my biggest complaint with the way jhalfs currently parses
the book has more to do with its reliance on libxslt and trying to
understand the stylesheets that make up the logic behind it.

--
JH