Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 20 10:04:41 PDT 2008

Jon Herron wrote:
> Members -
>
>   I am relatively new to linux from scratch, and first wanted to thank all those involved for a great experience.  I have been looking for a starting point for a deep dive into the inner workings of linux and this looks like a great project.  Upon browsing your site, I noticed a message at the bottom of the ALFS section, talking about a new project called alfs - and to drop a post to the list expressing interest (so here I am).  After browsing through this list I didn't notice any recent discussions on the topic, and was wondering a) if this project was still open, b) if any work had been done on it, and c) if I could either chip in on the existing project or start working on said project if no work has begun to date.  I'm not sure exactly what else to say for an opening post, but hopefully this could get some conversations going...

Hi Jon,

The endeavor to build 'alfs' (a do-it-all replacement for what was at
the time the default implementation, nALFS) was started a few years
back. There were a couple of Proof of Concepts developed to show certain
possible functionality, but it never really went further than that.

Mostly due to a lack of resources, but also because the community
couldn't agree on a precise direction to follow, any community-based
organized effort to produce alfs was dropped. Instead, a small bash
Proof of Concept called jhalfs was adopted and re-written by the
community at large.

jhalfs is still useful to many, mostly because it extracts its build
instructions directly from the LFS book's XML source. But I think it
would be nice if there were other ALFS implementations.

If you wanted to start work on something that could become alfs, I'd say
go ahead and draw up a new draft of proposed features/functionality and
let us have a look. We created a functional requirements page a while
ago, but I'd imagine that several of those things could be modified or
removed now.

--
JH