Teminal issues in -dev

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:22:17 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 8:16 AM, Jeremy Huntwork
<jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> The real issue is that the --bind mount of /dev is unmounted as are
> /proc and /sys. (BTW, this issue would also affect any attempt to use
> the grub installed in chroot, since that needs the devices corresponding
> to your HDs available.) So maybe the better option is to allow a user to
> specify if they don't want those filesystem's unmounted. Of course you'd
> have to include proper warnings at the end of the build or such...

What I was thinking is just to add a couple make targets for this case:

devices:
    mount -v --bind /dev $(LFS)/dev
    mount -vt devpts devpts $(LFS)/dev/pts
    mount -vt tmpfs shm $(LFS)/dev/shm
    mount -vt proc proc $(LFS)/proc
    mount -vt sysfs sysfs $(LFS)/sys

teardown:
    umount -v $(LFS)/dev/pts
    umount -v $(LFS)/dev/shm
    umount -v $(LFS)/proc
    umount -v $(LFS)/sys

chroot: devices
    chroot $(LFS) /tools/bin/env -i \
      HOME=/root TERM=$TERM PS1='\u:\w\$ ' \
      PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin \
      /tools/bin/bash --login
    $(MAKE) teardown

At the end of the build, a message could be output:

"Done building packages. To continue preparing the system as
described in Chapter 7, run:
    make chroot"

Or whatever (I suck at UI). Those targets would probably need to be
made more robust (and handle gaining root privilege), but  you get the
idea.

--
Dan