differences between custom-tools, blfs-tool and blfs-support

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 9 10:02:14 PDT 2008

Benjamin John wrote:
> Hello,
> I want to use jhalfs for automated building.

  I recommend you do a plain vanilla build first to familiarize yourself
with procedure and iron out any problems you have. You can always flush
the partition and start over with a more extensive build later. Walk
before you run, run before you fly.

> After playing around with
> some options (with or without custom tool, blfs-deps, blfs-support) I
> wonder what is the _technical_ difference between these three possibilities.
> Am I right when I say custom tools and blfs-deps are technical the same,
> where blfs-deps are used for working with the blfs-book sources after
> rebooting into the new system and custom tools are for whatever I want
> to use after the reboot?

  Yes. If you intend to extend LFS using the BLFS book instructions
there are dependencies that need to be satisfied.
  If, on the other hand, you have a limited set of apps you wish to
install and do not want to install all of the overhead necessary to
support the BLFS book you can hand craft build scripts. There is is no
hand-holding when you create your own scripts, you are on your own.
Follow the format. Follow the format and examples given in /custom.

> And the blfs-support is meant for building the book (or a part of)
> inside the new created system?
Yes.
> What would be the difference, when I put every package I want from the
> blfs book an some packages more directly in custom tools, so that these
> packages would be build after the lfs-book is finished?

You are responsible for all the dependency resolution and script
editing. You can dig a very deep hole using this method and rope may be
in short supply to pull you out.

> One difference I saw, is that inside the new system the build process
> runs as user and only the installation is done by root.
> What about building after the lfs-scripts (in custom tools)? Is it all
> done by root or all by the specified user?
It has been a while since I wrote the 'custom' section. If I am not
mistaken it is run under chroot.

   regards,
     GeorgeB