About Language.

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Thu May 31 02:03:20 PDT 2007

On Τετ, Μάι 30, at 11:57 Dan Nicholson wrote:

> >    It's the "Standard" C locale.
> >    By that alone, is enough reason for to recommend and support only this
> >    locale.
>
> In the context of compiling source code, I agree.
Yes of course.

My opinion is that our moto, should be:

Built only in C locale.
Work only in UTF-8.

The life all of us would be much simplified in one night, if
all these national ISO-8859* variants and such could be dropped.

Particularly in Linux, we don't have to be backwards compatible with
obsolete standards and carry them all along our way to innovation.

Plan9 was build in Unicode from the very beginning in 1991 (if I remember
correctly), but it took us almost 15 years altogether to be widely supported,
and still we strive to get rid of these unacceptable legacy locales.
I bet there will plenty of people that we'll scream hearing these words. :)