About Language.

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 30 23:57:19 PDT 2007

On 5/30/07, Ag. D. Hatzimanikas <a.hatzim at gmail.com> wrote:
> Currently, there is an entry about letting the user to decide
> about the Language. This is set to $LANG by default, that means it
> will read the $LANG environment variable of the local system (host).
>
> I am proposing to set it as default in C locale, for three reasons.

I agree. I say set LANG=C. If anyone wants to take a chance and format
messages in their language or something, they're free to override
things with LC_*. But working with C sources when not in the C locale
can have issues. See locale(7).

> I.
>    Help us to narrow the errors. For example, and if I remember correctly,
>    the problem Dan had with the Dash shell, which besides the bug, was
>    causing because he was building from an en_US.UTF-8 locale. Dan
>    correct me, if my memory fools me.

Right. The problem was that there was a script to generate a btree of
builtins for dash. The script used sort, which is affected by
LC_COLLATE. I had LANG=en_US.UTF-8 set and nothing else. The result
was an improperly sorted binary tree, breaking dash. It was not a fun
issue to track down, I promise you.

> II.
>    Display of the messages, during the compilation.
>    I have to say that, although it's hard for me to express myself (sometimes)
>    in English language, it makes absolutely no sense to display the
>    compiler messages in my native language. It's just stupid.
>    And not only the compiler messages, but all the technical terms.
>    English language is the standard in that regard and should be used
>    always.

IIRC, this is detrimental in the kernel, too. I believe /proc/version
will end up localized, breaking scripts. This, I believe is affected
by LC_MESSAGES. Alexander could fill in the details on that one. He's
brought up before how not being in the C locale breaks the kernel
build.

>    It's the "Standard" C locale.
>    By that alone, is enough reason for to recommend and support only this
>    locale.

In the context of compiling source code, I agree. Obviously, you're
not saying that everyone should use the C locale at all times. Then
when would I get to see all those fun Greek letters?

Maybe Alexander will drop a note in here, although I don't know if he
reads alfs-discuss. I'm sure he would blast my level of understanding
of locales, though :)

--
Dan