About Language.

Ag. D. Hatzimanikas a.hatzim at gmail.com
Wed May 30 13:58:42 PDT 2007

Currently, there is an entry about letting the user to decide
about the Language. This is set to $LANG by default, that means it
will read the $LANG environment variable of the local system (host).

I am proposing to set it as default in C locale, for three reasons.

I.
   Help us to narrow the errors. For example, and if I remember correctly,
   the problem Dan had with the Dash shell, which besides the bug, was
   causing because he was building from an en_US.UTF-8 locale. Dan
   correct me, if my memory fools me.

II.
   Display of the messages, during the compilation.
   I have to say that, although it's hard for me to express myself (sometimes)
   in English language, it makes absolutely no sense to display the
   compiler messages in my native language. It's just stupid.
   And not only the compiler messages, but all the technical terms.
   English language is the standard in that regard and should be used
   always.
   DO you know how the word "compiling" translated in my language?
   Hang on. Μεταγλωτισμός.

ΙΙΙ.
   The third reason has to do with the actual word that is being used to
   describe the C locale.
   It's the "Standard" C locale.
   By that alone, is enough reason for to recommend and support only this
   locale.
   We have already enough freedom and some kind of anarchy in the Linux
   world. And I don't care what the others do. But we, as Linux From Scratch
   I believe (we) had the obligation to keep these standards and not
   deviate even a bit from them.
   There is a plenty of ground to deviate, but lets keep it away (deviation)
   from the toolchain.

I know this probably belongs to LFS and not only to ALFS, but I know Matthew
and all of the editors of LFS, following ALFS discuss, so feel free
first, to express your opinion and second to redirect the conversation
to LFS-dev if you find that there is some rationale behind it.