Logging and bc. [Was: Re: r3353]

M.Canales.es macana at macana-es.com
Mon May 21 12:38:17 PDT 2007

El Domingo, 20 de Mayo de 2007 18:38, Ag. D. Hatzimanikas escribió:
> On Sun, May 20, at 08:14 Dan Nicholson wrote:
> > A couple things to thing about.
> >
> > 1. The script would obviously be improved if it was done all in perl
> > instead of forking a ton of processes. But that would require one of
> > use to know perl :)

I not, for sure ;-)

> > 2. We can be smarter about how we log the time to start out with.
> > Instead of just taking the output that `time' gives, it would be
> > better if there was a value just in seconds. You can do this by using
> > the TIMEFORMAT variable in bash or by doing some external timing like
> > I did before with perl.

The perl timing looks very intrusive, at least to me. It implies replacing a
simple "time" call by two "date" plus one "perl" calls, increasing a lot the
Makefile size.

To set TIMEFORMAT seems a good idea. It could allow to simplify a lot time
calculations

> Ok, the patch attached, I tried it in the last build and it seems to work.

Great. Not tested yet but looks sane.

> Please review it for a second before apply it, and feel free to change
> it.

Well, if TIMEFORMAT is added, it will need some changes to handle the new time
format.

> I also commented out the REPORT option in the case statement, in
> common/libs/func_validate_configs.sh.

Only remains to add it to the list of non-validated settings.

Many thanks, I will test it ASAP.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia