Logging and bc. [Was: Re: r3353]

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun May 20 08:14:03 PDT 2007

On 5/20/07, Ag. D. Hatzimanikas <a.hatzim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Σαβ, Μάι 19, at 02:03 M.Canales.es wrote:
> >
> > I don't know Perl sintax, thus I opted by bc when creating the script. I you
> > can create a patch dropping bc dependency while kepping the same
> > functionality, we will apply it.
> >

> Ok, first have a look at he format and if you like it, I will continue
> to port the test script to Jhalfs.
> Have a look.
>
> ========================================================================================
>                                 [binutils-pass1]
>
> Build time is:                                          2 minutes and 44 seconds
> Build time in seconds is:                               164
> Approximate SBU time is:                                1.000
> Disk usage before unpacking the package:                202689 KB or 197.938 MB
> Disk usage before deleting the source and build dirs:   422942 KB or 413.029 MB
> Required space to build the package:                    220253 KB or 215.091 MB
> Installed files disk usage:                             45256 KB or 44.196 MB

Looks pretty nice. A couple things to thing about.

1. The script would obviously be improved if it was done all in perl
instead of forking a ton of processes. But that would require one of
use to know perl :) It looks pretty nice, though.

2. We can be smarter about how we log the time to start out with.
Instead of just taking the output that `time' gives, it would be
better if there was a value just in seconds. You can do this by using
the TIMEFORMAT variable in bash or by doing some external timing like
I did before with perl.

Consider this.

$ export TIMEFORMAT=$'\ntime %3R sec'
$ time { sleep 2; echo foo; }
foo

time 2.013 sec

Does anyone really care how much time the cpu spent on it anyway? All
we care about is how long we had to wait or not.

--
Dan