Trials & Tribulations with LFS CD & VMWare

Roger Merchberger zmerch-lfs at 30below.com
Thu Mar 29 12:26:28 PDT 2007

Rumor has it that Petrus may have mentioned these words:
> > So I decided I'd try to build an automated LFS using jhalfs and the Live
> > CD
> > (6.2-5). On Windows XP Pro. With VMWare 5.5. Without networking (which I
>
>Recommendation:-  coLinux.  (http://www.colinux.org/)

I'll have to look into that - it might remove my dependance for cygwin...

> > OK, so I'm doing wacko stuff on wacko hardware with wacko software... I
> > realize that. ;-) I haven't googled a ton yet, I barely skimmed the
> > README;
>
>That does not need to be a problem.  I know from my own experience that
>there are times when such improvisation is necessary, or even merely
>enjoyable.

"When all else fails, read the instructions???" ;-)

The way I see it, you'll never know until you try, and you'll not learn
nearly as much until it breaks.

Anyway, I found that the glibc as shipped on the LiveCD won't compile out
of box; "zic" barfs whilst building the timezones as it wants to point
America/Indianapolis at "EST5" and EST5 doesn't exist; only EST. I copied
EST to EST5, typed make, didn't save the config file, and happily enough
jhalfs restarted the glibc build, it made it all the way through, and it's
now currently compiling 069-gcc.

More status as it happens.

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Profile, don't speculate."
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers |     Daniel J. Bernstein