my own alfs

Petrus petrus4 at tpg.com.au
Sat Mar 24 10:36:34 PDT 2007

Hey guys,
I know I've been talking about this on and off on the irc server for ages,
but I've finally got something workable going, if anyone is interested.  The
URL is http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/acbuild, and it's available as a
cvs checkout via the instructions there...most of you prolly know the drill.
;-)

What is it?  It's a software compilation/installation/packaging mechanism
(eventually for the latter) using bmake and based on a direct, more
Linux-centric re-implementation of bsd.port.mk.

What works?  In terms of maketargets, setup, fetch, extract, patch,
configure, build, install and clean.  In other words, even though package
management isn't there yet, there's more than enough for a full
implementation of alfs.  I'm still in the process of uploading the makefiles
I've written for it to CVS, but you can either wait until I've done that
(I'll be completing it this morning) or write your own.  The makefile format
is largely self-explanatory, and as well as some example makefiles I've also
got a readme there which explains how to do it.  The format of the core
makefile, aqbuild.mk, is also a little messy, but still very readable I
think...I've documented it probably a little excessively. ;-)  I am
considering making it more modular.

What doesn't work yet?  *Full* automation via being able to jump the chroot
wall at the start of chapter 6 and continue on automatically...I need some
help figuring out how to do that, if anyone is willing.  Also, the package
maketarget.  Find is giving me problems with it, and I also haven't written
a db interface for the package management yet, which I'm planning on doing
in entirely db-neutral SQL, once I learn enough about the language.  This
will hopefully mean that if I want to implement it via Postgres as part of a
big, bloated desktop, I can, and if someone else wants to make it work for
an embedded system with SQLite, they'll also be able to.  I'm also planning
on using bashdiff linked against dietlibc to write said db code, which would
mean that in conjunction with tcc and the asmutils, for embedded stuff we
could have a full toolchain with package management on one or two floppy
disks.

Also however, I ask please that I not receive any negative comments about
how this is a redundant duplication of effort, I'm an idiot for bothering to
want to do it, etc.  Ronald was giving me a fair amount of abuse along these
lines on IRC a while back...I can only say that I have my own reasons for
doing it, some of which include simply the fact that I enjoy it. ;-)