Problems with C/c++ compiler

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 23:15:48 PST 2007

On 3/5/07, sizo nsibande <ooziss at gmail.com> wrote:

> My superviser who says he does not want to spoon feed me says one of
> my problems is that I am still using
>
> "root at monox:~# gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20060928 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.1-13ubuntu5)
>
> root at monox:~# which gcc
> /usr/bin/gcc"
>
> and i need to change and start using the C compiler located at
>
> "root at monox:~# /tools/bin/gcc --version
> gcc (GCC) 4.0.3
> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE."

Yes. /tools/bin should be at the front of your PATH. If you're just
going to use the host's tools, then you might as well skip Ch. 5. That
would defeat a major part of what's going on, though. We go to great
pains to make sure that your host toolchain has the absolute minimum
influence on your final system.

You also shouldn't be root in Ch. 5. The main reason for doing this is
so you don't inadvertently mangle your host. FBBG.

--
Dan