jhalfs-2.2 - release preparatives.

M.Canales.es macana at macana-es.com
Thu Mar 1 14:18:27 PST 2007

El Jueves, 1 de Marzo de 2007 22:22, Jeremy Huntwork escribió:

> I'd like to write a modified progress bar in C or C++ that doesn't call
> external binaries for calculations or to draw on the screen. My idea is
> of one that calculates an SBU time for the machine on the first build of
> Binutils, stores that somewhere (a conf file or something), then draws a
> progress bar for each package showing percentage complete (think
> wget-style). There would be an estimated completion time and we could
> also store the actual run-time involved as before and calculate the SBU.
> If this is well-written, being that the calculations are only what we
> need and all internal to the binary, it *should* be both more practical
> and more efficient.

If you can do that that binary will be able to calculate also disk space used,
it could be something very cool, allowing to remove not only progress_bar.sh
but also all that du and time calls.

It it also can improve the build performance due that no other external
programs or sub-shells need ve invoked, that idea is a winner.

The issues that I can think on in this momment is about how that program will
be invoked. The console output drawing should start when make start running a
target. Disk usage need be meassured before unpacking a package and before
deleting the package sources build tree. And SBU is calculated for the actual
build and installation time. That meant three different hocks points.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia