jhalfs-2.2 - release preparatives.

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 1 13:22:10 PST 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 08:05:01PM +0100, M.Canales.es wrote:
> I would to release jhalfs-2.2 this Sunday if there is no show-stoppers.
> My tests shows that the current code looks good, but more tests, inputs, and
> comments from others will be helpfull before doing the release.

This is kind of OT, but this email sparked an idea, so I'd like to throw
it out there.

The progress bar included in jhalfs is nice, but it's not (unless it has
changed recently - sorry I haven't been following development lately) as
functional as it might be. It could also stand to leave less of an impact on
the general performance of the build.

I'd like to write a modified progress bar in C or C++ that doesn't call
external binaries for calculations or to draw on the screen. My idea is
of one that calculates an SBU time for the machine on the first build of
Binutils, stores that somewhere (a conf file or something), then draws a
progress bar for each package showing percentage complete (think
wget-style). There would be an estimated completion time and we could
also store the actual run-time involved as before and calculate the SBU.
If this is well-written, being that the calculations are only what we
need and all internal to the binary, it *should* be both more practical
and more efficient.

Ideas? Objections? Concerns?

--
JH