Glibc build failure with /bin/sh -> /bin/dash

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Feb 16 11:29:51 PST 2007

On Friday 16 February 2007 19:14, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On 2/15/07, Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 February 2007 18:12, M.Canales.es wrote:
> > > Is a matter to test is that works. I.e, on a Ubuntu host with /bin/sh
> > > --> /bin/dash, build an LFS-SVH system using current jhalfs-SVN (before
> > > the Glibc build go to the book).
> >
> > Well, I've only time to get through a chapter 5 build tonight, but my
> > Kubuntu install has the necessary /bin/sh->/bin/dash symlink.
>
> Matthew, I have a question for you. I installed dash to play around,
> but I'm getting nowhere with it. I can't even execute through the
> configure script for binutils properly. Maybe I did something wrong
> building it since you obviously get a lot further.

Basically what Ubuntu have done is installed /bin/dash and have a
symlink /bin/sh pointing to it.  They also have /bin/bash and have that as
the default shell for normal users.  So, anyone kicking off a build of LFS
will be doing it using /bin/bash.

Thanks to the way jhalfs is now setup, it'll push everything (I think) through
an explicit /bin/bash, so /bin/sh and hence /bin/dash never gets invoked.

Obviously, if you're in a /bin/dash shell yourself and aren't using jhalfs
you'll trigger loads of problems, I'd guess.

Does this help any?

Matt.