Glibc build failure with /bin/sh -> /bin/dash

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 11:14:45 PST 2007

On 2/15/07, Matthew Burgess <matthew at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 15 February 2007 18:12, M.Canales.es wrote:
> >
> > Is a matter to test is that works. I.e, on a Ubuntu host with /bin/sh
> > --> /bin/dash, build an LFS-SVH system using current jhalfs-SVN (before the
> > Glibc build go to the book).
>
> Well, I've only time to get through a chapter 5 build tonight, but my Kubuntu
> install has the necessary /bin/sh->/bin/dash symlink.

Matthew, I have a question for you. I installed dash to play around,
but I'm getting nowhere with it. I can't even execute through the
configure script for binutils properly. Maybe I did something wrong
building it since you obviously get a lot further. Can you tell me if
this command is successful for you?

$ : ${FOO=foo}

In bash, this has no output and will just do parameter expansion, so
you get FOO=foo if FOO is unset. dash is bombing on me because it
doesn't recognize :.

--
Dan