Glibc build failure with /bin/sh -> /bin/dash

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 11:01:16 PST 2007

On 2/16/07, M.Canales.es <macana at macana-es.com> wrote:
> El Jueves, 15 de Febrero de 2007 22:59, Matthew Burgess escribió:
>
> > Personally, I consider forcing a particular shell to be used an ugly hack
> > :-)
>
> And I see make not using the SHELL env user variable and forcing /bin/sh by
> default as a bug ;-)

I thought about this last night a bit. In most cases, I would agree
that forcing a particular shell is not nice. However, in our case it's
actually preferred to make the shell bash since it more closely
conforms to the environment we set in the book.

If you look at some of the commands in the generated Makefile, there
the ones you would be executing from your interactive bash shell if
you were following the book.

That's how I see it, anyway. But I'd still like to remove as many
bashisms as possible from jhalfs when there's a sane portable
replacement. That's not my call, though.

--
Dan