Glibc build failure with /bin/sh -> /bin/dash

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Feb 15 13:59:01 PST 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 21:27, M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Jueves, 15 de Febrero de 2007 22:15, Matthew Burgess escribió:
> > Here's a description of the changes I've had to make.  Thankfully,
> > there's only one horrible hack so far, though I've got some unwanted
> > '-e's appearing in log files and the progress bar output.  That's
> > probably due to non-POSIX use of `echo' but I'm not too bothered by
> > it...yet :-)
>
> There is no need to do all that ugly hacks that may break several parts of
> jhalfs (report creation, ICA/farce, optimization, etc.).

Personally, I consider forcing a particular shell to be used an ugly hack :-)
I already admitted that the removal of the timing commands was a hack, so I
wasn't planning on submitting a patch for that particular issue until the
feature was re-implemented in such a way as to appease dash.

> Like Dan pointed and my test seems confirm, should be enough removing  that
> 3 occurrences of  SHELL=/bin/bash and adding it to the top with the other
> Makefile variables settings.

Well, after that fix is put in, will you accept any patches that do POSIX-ify
the shell syntax piecemeal (i.e. so we can replace each of those
SHELL=/bin/bash settings one at a time)?  That way we shouldn't break
anything, right?

Matt.