LFS/LiveCD PM proposal

Tapio Kelloniemi spammi.helevetti at nbl.fi
Wed Aug 15 21:49:28 PDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 08:22:23PM +0200, M.Canales.es wrote:
 > El Miércoles, 15 de Agosto de 2007 19:17, George Boudreau escribió:
 > > Manuel,
 > >
 > >    Should jhalfs have an opinion on Jeremy's idea?
 > >
 > >    If they go ahead with this we could change the structure of jhalfs
 > > from a the current huge makefile to a package manager driver in the
 > > final stage.
[--]
 > Yes from a user point of view PM support will be very cool, the question is
 > what to use and how implement it without breaking by-the-book builds.

By-the-book builds and PM just not (currently) work together. Since
books (LFS/BLFS) don't have concepts such as preinstall and postinstall
commands (which are absolutely required), and because the books don't support
protecting the system from unwanted (or undoable) modifications.

However, PM is required to support systems that have longer lifetime than few
months at most. Is there any serious discussion of adding $DESTDIR support
to LFS/BLFS?

--
Tapio