LFS/LiveCD PM proposal

lists lists at jaqui-greenlees.net
Wed Aug 15 11:52:55 PDT 2007

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Miércoles, 15 de Agosto de 2007 19:17, George Boudreau escribió:
>> Manuel,
>>
>>    Should jhalfs have an opinion on Jeremy's idea?
>>
>>    If they go ahead with this we could change the structure of jhalfs
>> from a the current huge makefile to a package manager driver in the
>> final stage.
>
> To be usefull for developers,  jhalfs must be keeped as closed as possible to
> the books commands. If the book includes PM support, jhalfs will include it
> by defalt.
>
> With the current Bash&XSL-based code, to add a PM without having a base
> support in the book might need very intrusive changes. Plus, if the case that
> the selected PM need estra spec files for each package, who will maintain
> they?
>
> Yes from a user point of view PM support will be very cool, the question is
> what to use and how implement it without breaking by-the-book builds.

So far, the least objectioned change to the LFS-Book is to simply add as
an end user option for a system variable "$DESTDIR" which enables most
package managers. The BLFS or a new project on Package Managers would
then have more on the options for PMs and steps to build one, starting
with the $DESTDIR variable if the reader implemented it in LFS.

The LiveCD project would benefit from a package manager for maintenance
of the CD itself, which is where the actual implementation proposed
would be.