error in step 086 clfs automated

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 14 14:01:34 PDT 2007

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Martes, 14 de Agosto de 2007 21:41, sacarde escribió:
>> hi,
>>    in my mini-ppc (512MB ram) booting from livecd-ppc 6.2.pre
>> I have download jhalfs-2.3 and last  package-set
>> then I configure CLFS and run MAKE
>>
>> ... but in step 86 error:
>>
>> Building target 086-changingowner
>> [\/tools/bin/bash: line 3: perl: command not found   ]  0 min   0 sec
>

> I have not build CLFS in several time, but revising the book and build scripts
> looks like CLFS don't install Perl in the cross-tools nor tools phase, thus
> it is not available in the firsts targets run into the chroot :-/
>
> George, have you build some CLFS system after the chage to use perl for build
> time meassuring?

   No, I have not run testbuilds against CLFS-1.0 since the change. I
had been working on CLFS-Embedded lately. The Perl timing issue will not
affect CLFS-sysroot or CLFS-Embedded.

   A cheaper workaround for Sacarde would be to disable SBU calculations.

> As a quick fix, you can edit the $BUILD_DIR/jhalfs/Makefile, go to the
> 086-changingowner target entry, and change the line
>
>  end=$(TIME_MARK) && $(BUILD_TIME) >>logs/$@ && \

>  end=$(TIME_MARK)  >>logs/$@ && \
>
> Do the same in the following targets up to the one for temp-perl inclusive.
>
>> whatching logs I found 086 log that has a lot of line:
>>
>> ownwership of '/cross-tools/.......' retained as 0:0
>>

> That's not good, that might meant that the croos-tools packages was build as
> the root user. Revising the Makefile I can't see how that could happened,
> except if the $LUSER variable, found at the beggining of the Makefile, is
> empty.

   Both chroot and boot isolate the final build from the host. Either we
package. (I dislike coding exceptions.) A third option is to revisit the
timing method.. write a neutral data package (ticks/milliseconds or what
ever) at the end of the log and do all the processing at the end of the
build.