Sorry -just need to vent

M.Canales.es macana at macana-es.com
Thu Aug 9 10:24:59 PDT 2007

El Jueves, 9 de Agosto de 2007 18:21, Michael J. Lynch escribió:

> Why on earth is it so difficult to make a kernel configuration from
> scratch that doesn't require an initrd image.  I've been messing
> around with it for at least a week now and I *finally* got it working.
> Would it be so hard for the kernel guys to add a "noinitrdconfig"
> target to the makefile that would generate a kernel config with
> everything needed to be able to boot from either an IDE or SCSI
> drive?  This target wouldn't need all of the assorted drivers, just
> the minimal amount of stuff needed to be able to boot without
> needing an initrd image.

Get an usable minimal non-modules/non-initrd .config file for my new
AMD64-based machine took me three days, I understand you :-/

The most frustrating part for me is that the options dependencies are not in a
clear linear-tree layout. I.e., selecting/unselecting some option from the
last menus can activate/deactive some option from the already visited first
menus, thus forcing to review at lest two times all entries to can know what
is actually selected.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia