Curiosity

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 08:14:12 PDT 2007

On 8/3/07, Michael J. Lynch <mlynch at gcom.com> wrote:
> Actually, what I find
> even more curious is that the "make" process for kernels doesn't
> make the initrd image.  I've always found that to be weird omission.
> Does anyone have any idea why that is?

I think there are a couple utilities shipped in the kernel that deal
with init{rd,ramfs}. However, in practice each distro provides they're
own init tools. This is because the initramfs, just like the
initscripts, are extremely distro specific. It's pretty much
impossible to make a generic initramfs without some knowledge of what
userspace components will be involved after init is done.

--
Dan