Curiosity

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 08:03:54 PDT 2007

On 8/3/07, Michael J. Lynch <mlynch at gcom.com> wrote:
> I realize this thought probably isn't specific to this list but one
> thing I find curious with the LFS book and the section on building
> the kernel, there is no mention of "initrd".  Actually, what I find
> even more curious is that the "make" process for kernels doesn't
> make the initrd image.  I've always found that to be weird omission.
> Does anyone have any idea why that is?

initrd is not needed for LFS.  The reason for initrd is to basically
mount the root partition when the appropriate driver is not compiled
into the kernel.  This is useful for commercial distros where the
partition formats are not known in advance.  For LFS, we know the
partition type in advance and compile it into the kernel which makes
initrd is unnecessary.
  -- Bruce