Ubuntu?

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Thu Aug 2 10:12:05 PDT 2007

M.Canales.es wrote:
> El Jueves, 2 de Agosto de 2007 14:47, Michael J. Lynch escribió:
>

>> Hoary's version of tar is 1.14
>>

> And your jhalfs version is 2.2, that by mistake was checking for Tar-1.4
> instead of  the required Tar-1.5 version.

Ok, but don't you think it may be better to relax dependence on
a fairly new version of tar when a simple change would essentially
eliminate the dependency all together.

I have the following hosts:

    Fedora Core 2 - tar 1.13
    Fedora Core 3 - tar 1.14
    Redhat Enterprise 4 - tar 1.14
    Redhat 9 - tar 1.13
    SUSE 9.3 - tar 1.15
    Ubuntu Hoary - tar 1.14
    Ubuntu LTS - tar 1.15

I have Fedora Core 5 as well but that machine is remotely located and
offline at the moment so I can't check to see what version of tar it has.

So, I have 7 possible hosts for this, but only 2 can be used because of
of a dependency that basically isn't needed.  It would be one thing if
the version of tar you need provided some sort of functionality that
couldn't be provided by using existing tool versions.  E.G.  All versions
of tar will unarchive an uncompressed archive and the uncomressors
for each of the compressed file types have been around for a very long
time.  Why limit the use of your tool to only distributions that provide
the very latest tools when you don't have too?

I'm not advocating that you make any change for this, I'm just voicing
my philosophy on these sorts of things.  One of the reasons I have so
many distros is precisely for the purpose regression testing.  E.G.  To
make sure I didn't make a change that causes things to no longer work
with distros I know my customers are using.

Sure, there may be other tools needed where the version available is
only available with in later distributions, but I could argue that there
really is very little in the ALFS package that really "requires" the latest
available basic system tools.