Ubuntu?

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 11:54:37 PDT 2007

On 8/1/07, M.Canales.es <macana at macana-es.com> wrote:

> Both, the md5sum work-around and using "-j" or -"z" in the tar command based
> on the package extension can be found in the old jhalfs releases.
>
> They was removed in one of the code clean-ups to can have a more simple,
> readable, and uniform code. Yes, that take out of the game some older distros
> (Ubuntu 6.06.1 TLS works fine as a host for me), but we don't have the
> manpower needed to test and support all of them.

Manuel, I completely sympathize with the interest of tearing out
compatibility code, but IMO jhalfs shouldn't exceed the LFS Host
Requirements limits: coreutils-5.0 and tar-1.14. Or, if that's a
problem, then jhalfs should probably ship its own version checking
script to tell users that they'll need to update their utilities if
necessary.

Another thing that would help in situations like this would be to make
use of more make variables. For instance, unpack should be calling
$(TAR) with a default of TAR = tar in the Makefile. Then if someone
needs to override things, they can do it in a systematic way:

make TAR=my-tar-wrapper MD5SUM=md5sum-that-handles-stdin

--
Dan