Ubuntu?

Spahn, Daniel dspahn at cuh2a.com
Wed Aug 1 09:02:52 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: alfs-discuss-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:alfs-discuss-bounces at linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of Michael
J. Lynch
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 11:32 AM
To: ALFS
Subject: Ubuntu?

I dunno why but I can't seem to "reply" to the emails sent to
the "list" on this subject.  Every time I try to reply to one it gets
bounced as "spam".  Yes, I've already sent an email to the
postmaster about it.

Anyway, No, the version checking stuff didn't complain about
anything.

The comment about it not being an ALFS problem is completely
idiotic.  I am a professional software supplier for linux and if a
customer of mine has a problem with my stuff on the distro he
decided to use, it's up to me to fix the problem if I want to keep
him as a customer.  Telling him it's a problem with his distro
will guarantee he will go away.

At least I supplied a couple of simple changes that would
likely guarantee that it would not only work with probably about
every linux distro, it would probably be generic enough to make
it work on just about any *nix system.  I don't get that luxury with
my customers.  They just complain then it's up to me to figure
out how to fix it so it works for them AND doesn't break for other
distros.

Regarding "build-essentials", it's already installed.  Please note
that other than the problems I noted, everything else worked.
Meaning, once I got past that point, the entire build completed.
It took 28 hours (yes it's a slow machine), but it did complete
successfully and work.

Forgive my impertinence, however I don't understand what situations
might require compiling LFS on any other distribution. The LiveCD is a
relatively small download, and it provides an environment that is
designed to eliminate (within reason) the "unknowns" of the pre-build
environment, and to allow the toolchain to properly build and work.

Since you're a software supplier for linux, you are aware of the
complexities wrought by the practically infinite packages/version number
combinations, coupled with the configurability of the linux environment.
Bashing the (relatively small) group of LFS developers because they
cannot quickly iron out all the variables over a mailing list is as
"idiotic" as you claim their honest assessment of the situation is.

When you are talking about installing one package on a linux machine,
that is usually do-able, depending on the above-mentioned
complexities... but even then there is no guarantee.

To use an example of another established mainstream distribution, look
at Gentoo. The Gentoo developers know how impossible this is, which is
why they built and maintain Portage they way they have/do. Notice that
there are thousands (about 10 or 15K) packages in the Portage system,
but that not every package and version are there. Obviously, the OS at
hand is not Gentoo, but LFS, which uses the Book/LiveCD the way that
Gentoo uses Portage- LFS was engineered to be built on LFS because that
is the only way to have the pristine sources compile in a pristine
environment... pristinely.

Please keep these things in mind. You are already aware of how much goes
into making Linux work, and I'm sure you know that a package that will
not build is not even close to usually the OS and is not up to the OS'
developers to solve. Usually, it is either an incorrectly configured
environment, a broken toolchain, a user customization, ...and the list
goes on. Normally, it is up to the system engineer who designed the
linux system, or the specific package's development team to make it
work.