Ubuntu?

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Wed Aug 1 08:32:25 PDT 2007

I dunno why but I can't seem to "reply" to the emails sent to
the "list" on this subject.  Every time I try to reply to one it gets
bounced as "spam".  Yes, I've already sent an email to the
postmaster about it.

Anyway, No, the version checking stuff didn't complain about
anything.

The comment about it not being an ALFS problem is completely
idiotic.  I am a professional software supplier for linux and if a
customer of mine has a problem with my stuff on the distro he
decided to use, it's up to me to fix the problem if I want to keep
him as a customer.  Telling him it's a problem with his distro
will guarantee he will go away.

At least I supplied a couple of simple changes that would
likely guarantee that it would not only work with probably about
every linux distro, it would probably be generic enough to make
it work on just about any *nix system.  I don't get that luxury with
my customers.  They just complain then it's up to me to figure
out how to fix it so it works for them AND doesn't break for other
distros.

Regarding "build-essentials", it's already installed.  Please note
that other than the problems I noted, everything else worked.
Meaning, once I got past that point, the entire build completed.
It took 28 hours (yes it's a slow machine), but it did complete
successfully and work.