Early fault running jhalfs-2.0 on clfs-svn

TheOldFellow TheOldFellow at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 00:19:29 PST 2006

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 14:20:04 +0000, Alan Lord wrote:

> George Boudreau wrote:
>>   OK, I pinched of a new partition and installed Ubuntu. I am no expert
>> what should and shouldn't be installed on a system but 6.10 has /bin/sh
>> -> dash.  A quit search tells me 'dash' is a minimalist sh intended for
>> a floppy install. (On a desktop? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh )
>>
> Sorry to butt in but could you just do an "aptget-install bash" or
> something? Surely that would be simpler than re-writing just to suit
> some unusual, lightweight shell?
>
> Please ignore and sorry in advance if this is no help at all.
>
> Al

Bash IS installed by ubuntu and is the default shell, it's just not what it
uses for sh. It uses dash.  So if you put #!/bin/sh at the top of a
cript you get dash running the script.  They also chose mawk instead of
gawk, I changed that long ago, hence it didn't bite me.

There's nothing to stop you changing the symlink though, but George's
recent changes make it work well by calling for bash explicitly.

R.