Early fault running jhalfs-2.0 on clfs-svn

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 14:39:00 PST 2006

On 11/7/06, M.Canales.es <manuel at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> El Martes, 7 de Noviembre de 2006 13:39, George Boudreau escribió:
>
> >    OK, I pinched of a new partition and installed Ubuntu. I am no expert
> > what should and shouldn't be installed on a system but 6.10 has /bin/sh
> > -> dash.  A quit search tells me 'dash' is a minimalist sh intended for
> > a floppy install. (On a desktop? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh )
>
> That looks a very bad decision from Ubuntu developers :-/

I don't agree. The whole reason that we put the #!/bin/sh shebang in
scripts is that we can expect a Posix compliant shell. What we're
doing here (I do this myself, too) is using Bash. Ubuntu ships with
Bash, just has sh->dash. So, we should stop fooling around and make
the shell we want bash instead of griping about what /bin/sh is.
There's no rule that says sh->bash. Or, go back through all the
scripts and make them fully Posix compliant. There's an easy solution
and a hard solution here.

--
Dan