Greetings and a General Cleanup

George Makrydakis gmakmail at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 14:18:43 PST 2006

M.Canales.es wrote:

> The issue is that I don't know C, C++, Python, PHP and like, thus
> migrating jhalfs to a non-bash/XSL based code will exclude me from its
> development.

Not true, you are a crucial part of the project. I just opted for C++ because
it seemed a natural choice for that. Your work on every aspect of the system
so far has been great and it is important that you keep it up. One more
thing. Beware of the people who say they "know" something, People who are
eager to "use" that something end up learning it much better than the "know -
ers".

Do not forget that no XML, no nothing. Removing XSL means that it gets you
more time in anycase to make more powerful XML files. But first you have to
see the prototype and see if it works well enough for your purposes.

> jhalfs born as a POC about automatizing the build from the book sources
> instead from manually created XML profiles (like nALFS was doing) to
> demonstrate that such thing was possible. Due the lack of available
> programmers to implement it in compilable code, the bash form has been
> extended and enchanced until what it is now, and what could be in the
> future.

And it is a very well - laid out example of what is achieved by fine
craftsmanship.

> But I think the bash-based code will lack allways of a crucial feature:
> the ability to control simultaneouslly several remote
> installations/updates.

That is one.

> Said that, maybe you could put your hands on the development of that new
> alfs tool based on your ideas and your own way to do the things, helpped
> by other programmers if there is someone interested.

I would be happy to be of service.

> I will be very happy in someday we have a alfs binary implementation that
> make obsolete the bash-based jhalfs code.

I hope for that too, but there is a lot to use from the bash based code since
it is plain bash commands that end up being the final glue in this anyway.
Any tool should ultimately output to bash when necessary, and good bash code
is essential in this.

Thanks for the time spent responding. I much appreciate it.

George M.

See you this sunday ;)