jhalfs-X kernel config files

M.Canales.es manuel at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 21 13:57:29 PST 2006

El Martes, 21 de Marzo de 2006 22:39, George Boudreau escribió:

>    With CLFS in the 'boot minimal' mode. The authors recommended the
> kernel config for the bootstrap contain the absolute minimum necessary
> to boot the partition. The 'final' .config would contain all the bells
> and whistles the builder wished.
>    Should be add a another parameter to config for the bootstrap kernel.

Yes. That bootstrap kernel should be minimal and without modules. Due that it
will be cross-compiled is better to build only the code actually required to
can boot and build the real system.

> ..suggested format..
> #-- If BOOTMINIMAL=1 this is the .config file for the bootstrap kernel
> BOOTSTRAP_CONFIG=

Something like that, naming the file "kernel-boot-config" when copying it to
sources/, plus a test to make sure that BOOTSTRAP_CONFIG and CONFIG don't
hold the same file if both are set.

A a side note, I'm thinking to change BOOTMINIMAL (0/1) to METHOD
(chroot/boot). That look more intuitive for the users, at least to me.

--
Manuel Canales Esparcia