jhalfs experimental BLFS

George Boudreau georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 20 11:47:41 PST 2006

Manuel,
   I see you have been very active with the hlfs code.

   Before you get too deep inside clfs we should discuss a few of the
oddities clfs brings.
   1. The clfs has its own 'extract_commands' function with a crude
method for extracting patches and packages and generating the build
scripts.  If possible I would like to reintegrate this custom version
back into the common_functions file.

   2. The function 'build_makefile' will have to be reworked to handle
both a 'chroot jail' build as well as a 'boot minimal' style.  The
method I used in the makefile is miserable and relies on a failure to
exit the makefile script prematurely.. (bad.. very bad)

   3. The package downloading functions pulls down all patches for a
specific version. In LFS,BLFS,HLFS this is not an issue but with clfs it
will pull patches for all the architectures.. i.e. x86 build ends up
with space/mips..etc patches.. They do not affect the build but the do
pollute the the SRC_ARCHIVE.. (more a pain in the buttocks than a problem)

   grb