parser update...

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Mar 8 10:19:18 PST 2006

George Makrydakis wrote:

> BTW Gerard was thinking of restructuring the book to LaTEX format...

Whoa.  Where did this come from.  Its the first I've heard of it.

Perhaps you are thinking of creating a target in the Makefile for TeX or
LaTeX output in order to facilitate publishing a paper version of the
book(s).

I would be strongly against converting the book(s) to TeX.  My first
exposure to LaTeX was in 1991 and I found it inadequate.  I transitioned
to TeX because it was much more flexible.

In any case, a TeX based book would lose a *lot* of the metadata that
are in the books now.  Besides, TeX is about rendering.  The idea behind
docbook is to separate appearance from content--something like Knuth's
tangle and weave paradigm.  Docbook is the correct tool for LFS.

  -- Bruce