jhalfs development

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 17:33:36 PST 2006

Hi everyone,

I'm new on the list, so I don't have a mail to reply to.

Thomas, Jeremy, Manuel, George's, etc., hello.

Anyway, I've just read a few of the recent mails, but development
sounds pretty exciting.  The reason I'm writing is for a feature
request of sorts.  One of the best ways I've used for identifying bugs
in the LFS build is through recursive building and binary diffing.
Greg Schafer calls this Iterative Comparison Analysis (ICA).  I think
George Boudreau may have even helped him write some of the script for
it.

Really, the only way to do this without losing your mind is automated.
 I do it through bash scripts right now.  It is really very simple,
and only takes a little care about getting the environment right and
making sure you only clobber the things you want.  ALFS is the best
place to have it, and if it is included in this tool, the {C,H,}LFS
builds could be made much more robustly in a tool available to all.
BLFS is way too over the top for this, though.

I would like to help integrate this into jhalfs if there's interest.
I haven't used jhalfs yet, so I still have to learn the framework in
addition to keeping my eye on the current development.

Thoughts anyone?  I can provide more details about the procedure upon request.

--
Dan Nicholson