an alternative to fuser in progress_bar.sh

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 15:25:39 PDT 2006

On 6/28/06, George Boudreau <georgeb at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>   # note.. DO NOT try and trace the variable makePID..
>   # it changes the fuser text
> makePID=$(fuser -v . 2>&1 | grep make)
> makePID=$(echo $makePID | cut -d" " -f2)
>
> write_or_exit() {
>
>      # make has been killed or failed or run to completion, leave
>    [[ ! -e /proc/$makePID ]] && echo -n "${CURSOR_ON}" && exit
>
>      # Target build complete, leave.
>    [[ -f ${TARGET} ]] && echo -n "${CURSOR_ON}" && exit
>
>      # It is safe to write to the screen
>    echo -n "$1"
> }

Yes!  Why didn't I think of that before?  It's a little bit of a hack
since that pid could be reused, but the chances of that happening in
between write_or_exit pollings is obviously miniscule.  Way better.

I'll check it out. Incidentally, I want to rerun the glibc and gcc
testsuites.  I got some timeouts for some unknown reason before :).
If I just want to rebuild those targets, do I simply rm 066-glibc and
069-gcc and ./lfs -M?  I don't mind overwriting the installed files
and the build has already run to completion.  I think make will check
that all dependencies of the targets are built, right?

--
Dan