Expensive fuser in progress_bar.sh

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 11:27:25 PDT 2006

On 6/28/06, M.Canales.es <manuel at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> El Miércoles, 28 de Junio de 2006 19:51, Dan Nicholson escribió:
>
> > It just has to be a different test than running fuser.  It
> > considerably slowed down my build.  With jhalfs, 1 SBU = 19m.  Without
> > jhalfs, 1 SBU = 10m.  gcc took forever.
>
> Ufff.. In my system there is only some seconds of difference.
>
> We need a less intrussive way to test that make is alive.

The numbers are a bit skewed.  I was running a gnome session when
jhalfs was going and not without.  gnome is pretty resource intensive
on my old box, so it slows builds.

But, yes, there needs to be a less intrusive way.  I'm sure you guys
will think of something. :) If I have any more bright ideas, I'll let
you know. George's link looks promising.

--
Dan