jhalfs queries/observations

JoeTakagi joseph.takagi at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 24 21:05:48 PDT 2006

Hello

I recently returned to the LFS project and came across jhalfs which I
found to be an extremely useful tool. Below are some observations I've
made during my first use of jhalfs.

1) I noticed when installing glibc in LFS chapter 6 that jhalfs had
generated the commands to install all the locales even though the book
text gives that command as an alternative option to installing the
minimum locales needed for tests. I then noticed that in several
places in the LFS book xml the attribute "role" with the value
"nodump" given to "screen" element. The commands to install the
minimum locales had such a nodump attribute value whereas the full
locale install command did not.

Therefore I am wondering whether the xsl script that extracts the
command is written to take into account this nodump value or if jhalfs
is otherwise coded to install all the locales in preference to the
minimum locales. Not being familiar with xsl, I am unclear which of
these is correct.

In any event, what exactly is the purpose of nodump in the book xml?
Was it designed to aid in the extraction of commands for automated
installs? It is quite obvious that there needs to be some mechanism to
suppress certain book commands from being run in an automated install
as they are either optional, alternative or informative commands. Take
for example the 'expect -c "spawn ls"' command in chapter 6 binutils.
This doesn't have a nodump value and is therefore extracted by jhalfs.
Obviously, running this particular command doesn't cause any problems
but neither does it help during an automated install.

2) There is no option to register on the ALFS Trac site. The URL
/alfs/register gives an error.

3) The long option --run-make does not work as the help output says it
should. I looked in master.sh at it looks for --make (SVN trunk
version).

JT